Under The Cue

Under The Cue


Under the Cue is a blog about family, genealogy, emotions, or anything else that suits my fancy.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

4th of July Accident

On the 4th of July 2011, my husband and I went to one of the many events here in our city. As I parked my car I started having a feeling I shouldn't park there. I wanted to please my husband and tried to ignore my feeling. I kept looking back at my car and wishing I'd parked it some where else. We walked into the grounds where the event took place and watched fireworks. We also listened to a terrible rock group play. Disgusting. When all the fireworks were over we walked with thousands of others to our car. Things were okay but would soon change.

We were waiting in line for traffic to move when someone backed in to my car. They dented both passenger doors. I got out and got a paper and pen and wrote down all the info on the car I could gather. I asked the people for their insurance info and license but they wouldn't give it to me so I called the police. We waited for at least 45 minutes to an hour. The man who was driving the other vehicle asked me if I wanted to continue to wait or would I accept his information. I said I would take his insurance info and license number. He said he wouldn't give it to me because he didn't want the insurance involved because his insurance would go up. I prayed and prayed for God to give me wisdom. The police finally came. I handed the police my info and waited more. When the police finally came back to me and gave me a paper with info on it I found out these people have no insurance. If I had just taken this guys phone number and name I would have lost out in every way. He can change his phone number easily enough. And being Hispanic he could have changed his name easily enough too.

The policeman told me to leave first so he could deal with the people who backed into me. I don't know what happened to them yet. I still have to go get a copy of the accident report. What is the penalty for driving without insurance in my state?

My state law requires minimum Bodily Injury Liability coverage of $10,000 per injured person up to a total of $20,000 per accident, and Property Damage Liability coverage with a minimum limit of $10,000. This basic coverage is often referred to as 10/20/10 coverage.

My state Motor Vehicle section 7-606 is the state law for failure to maintain security on a motor vehicle. Here it states that an owner or operator who fails to comply with the Compulsory Insurance Law of my state shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be subject to a fine of not more than Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00), or imprisonment for not more than thirty (30) days, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and in addition thereto, shall be subject to suspension of license and registration.

When I got home I started to read my insurance policy. I didn't have enough insurance to get my car fixed. I called the company the next day and even though I pay plenty of money for insurance I don't have collision. You know you have to have all kinds of insurance in order to be covered. Made me sick.

I cried for the next two days. I kept telling God how sorry I was I hadn't listened to Him when He warned me not to park there. I just knew something was going to happen to my car. Why didn't I listen? I called my insurance agent and he said that he would try to help me. He would call the man who backed into my car and try to get him to pay for the damage. He told me to go get an estimate. The next day I went to get an estimate and I went to a boy shop. I went in complaining and they people there were so nice. A young man came out from the back of the shop to look at my car and he said he thought he could pop out the dent. He told me to go inside and wait. I did and he came for me and showed me the door and he had pulled out almost all of the dent. I thought that was the nicest thing someone had done for me in a long time. I hope God blesses these people for that kindness. They didn't charge me a thing. I'm still amazed. Thank you God for hearing my cries. I hadn't asked God to help me fix my car. I had only told God how sorry I was for not listening when He warned me.

I don't think I'll be going back to another event in that part of town and if I ever do I'll be very careful where I park. I will be paying more attention to what I'm feeling and any premonition I may have.

Now He's warning me to get some sleep. GN

No comments:

Post a Comment